Category > Community

Invincible Convictions

What are your most deeply held personal beliefs?No, you don’t have to tell me in the comments section below (unless you really want to), but take a moment to think about it. Chances are a few gut reactions will boil up to the surface of your thoughts. “I’m a liberal.” “I’m a conservative.” “I believe […]

Continue reading

, ,

Guest Post from Tracie Welser: Writing Conventions and How to Survive (an Incomplete List)

Tracie Welser is a graduate of the 2010 Clarion West Writers Workshop. Her recent publications include “A Body Without Fur” (May/June 2012 Interzone) and “Her Bones, Those of the Dead” (forthcoming in Outlaw Bodies). You can find her online at This Is Not An Owl and twitter: @traciewelser. “Writing, at its best, is a lonely […]

Continue reading

, ,

The Deep End: My Plunge Into the SFF Community

Maybe I’m feeling sentimental these days, but I’ve been thinking a lot about how freaking awesome the SFF community is, and how lucky I am to be a part of it. Okay, I know there are times when it’s not, and there’ve been lots of posts and discussion about that, but today I want to […]

Continue reading

Stay in School

It’s the time of year when everyone is getting ready to head to Clarion and Launchpad and conventions. It’s busy and social, signings will abound, and you might even meet some of the authors who have shaped your life. And that is one of the things that makes our genre so incredible. But hey, there’s […]

Continue reading

Promote Yourself, Guilt-free!

In the spirit of John Scalzi’s “pimp threads” on Whatever, I’m opening up an open self-promotion thread. Please feel free to post a comment about yourselves and your work by answering the following questions: 1) Who are you? 2) What kind of stories do you write? 3) Share a short excerpt of your writing (no […]

Continue reading

I nominate thee!

It’s award season again! Wait, didn’t I write a post that started out that way like, last week or something? Well, yes I did write that post, but it wasn’t last week, it was over 6 months ago, and can be found here. I do recommend (re-)reading it, because I’ve been reading like a hurricane […]

Continue reading

So You Want to Write for Pay?

Making a living as a writer is not easy. Financially, there are almost any other careers that would be a better choice, yet most of us dream of one day being paid solely to write. Have you ever thought about writing for one of those Write-for-Pay websites? A member of my writing workshop, *Julie Downsbrough […]

Continue reading

World Fantasy 2011 Inkpunks Event Calendar

Saturday, October 29, 8PM – 9PM, Suite TBD (fliers will be available at the con with the room number on it) We will be having a reading in one of the suites, where seven of us will be reading selections from our published or soon-to-be-published work. There will be snacks and booze and door prizes, […]

Continue reading

This is not a post about writing. Mostly.

This is the time of year that I generally reflect on the past twelve months: what I’ve done, and what I’d like to do better. It’s kind of like New Year for me–it’s when I make my resolutions and set my goals, and think about the things I’m grateful for. This is partly because my […]

Continue reading

A Year in the Inkpunks

It’s been a year since I proposed the idea for this blog and the Inkpunks were formed. A whole year and while the time has flown by, we also can’t believe how much has happened for all us within that year. We thought we’d take some time to reflect back on the year with the […]

Continue reading

prev posts prev posts