In the spirit of John Scalzi’s “pimp threads” on Whatever, I’m opening up an open self-promotion thread. Please feel free to post a comment about yourselves and your work by answering the following questions:
1) Who are you?
2) What kind of stories do you write?
3) Share a short excerpt of your writing (no more than three sentences, please), or, tell us about one of your author-heroes.
If you’re an editor, illustrator, or involved in the SF-publishing business from a different angle, please feel free to substitute accordingly!
I’ll go first:
1) I’m a father of two brilliant teens, partner to a fellow dreamer and SF writer, a failed academic, a rock-climber, a wannabe Seattle-transplant, an IT manager for a public university, a non-theist Quaker-Shinto-Buddhist, and a political activist. I’m never happier than when I’m creating something.
2) My writing is all over the place. My natural inclination is to write dark magical realism stories with religious themes, but I’ve written mushroom-human cross-species romance, necromantic fantasy in ancient Japan, and polygamous steampunk pulp. I’m trying to write more SF now. I don’t have any pro-sales yet, but my published stories include a romance between two zombie foodies, an alternate history 1920s where the federal agents enforce a Prohibition against alcohol *and* witchcraft, and “Traitors and Tyrants,” a graphic novel collaboration with fellow inkpunk Galen Dara.
3) I’m going to go with an excerpt:
“Some say I’m the best witch hunter of the Second Prohibition. Maybe I am. I bagged and sent 18 bona fides to burn like Edison bulbs in Sing Sing.”
I’m looking forward to learning about you!